Identifying the Key Factors of the Job
Determining the key factors of the position will be the most important step to complete before you can begin to identify the requirements needed to succeed.
This process will require more questioning regarding the need for this position and the prospective of this position in the larger scheme of the company’s goals and objectives.
Following are the key questions to ask:
1. What are the objectives / goals of the company?
2. What are the department and position goals?
3. How does this position support the goals?
4. What would you like to see happen as a result of hiring a new person?
5. What added value do you require this person to bring to the position?
6. What would you like to be able to say about this new hire six month from now?
By writing your answers out you can begin to observe details and objectives that you may not have observed before this exercise and that now can be used as a guide to define the responsibilities of the job.